NOTE: This Service is at our Beverly Location only
What is Laser Therapy?
- laser therapy takes advantage of the natural process of light energy transfer (biostimulation and photomechanical effect) to speed up healing and tissue regeneration
There are two main types of laser therapy:
- Low Level Light Therapy (LLLT) - Class 3B laser with power less than 500 mW - this therapy does NOT penetrate deep tissues
- High Intensity Laser (HIL) - Class 4 laser with power more than 500mW
- at Start Line we use a High Intensity Laser as it allows for better results and deeper tissue penetration!
How does laser actually work?
- parts of human cells have the ability to absorb specific wavelengths of laser radiation
- this results in release of other molecules such as, nitric oxide, cytokinines, and cell growth factors
- this absorption stimulates mitochondria and results in increased formation of ATP (energy), increasing the level of cellular metabolism resulting in faster tissue regeneration and healing
-laser radiation affects also increases fibroblastic activity, collagen synthesis, and angiogenesis
-further laser therapy stimulates immune function and inhibits pain by indirectly suppressing inflammation and swelling through the secretion of endogenous opiates – endorphins and encephalins, and reducing the speed in pain nerve fibre conduction
For what types of conditions does Laser Therapy work?
-soft tissue and cartilagenous injuries
-chronic joint disorders
-radiculopathy (pinched nerve in neck or back)
-neck spine pains
-peripheral nerve disorders
-healing wounds and scars